Thursday, August 05, 2004

True Virtue... (MUST READ!!!)

C.H. Spurgeon said this of Jesus regarding what Jesus first said when He hung on the cross.
('Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.')

"Our blessed redeemer persevered in prayer even when the cruel iron rent his nerves, and blow after blow of the hammer jarred his frame with anguish; And this perseverance may be accounted for by the fact that He was so in the habit of prayer that He could not cease from it;
He had acquired a mighty velocity of intercession which forbade him to pause. Those long nights upon the cold mountain side, those many days which had been spent in solitude, those perpetual ejaculations that he was wont to send up to heaven, all these had formed in him a habit so powerful that the severest torments could not stay its force. Yet it was more than habit. Our Lord was baptised in the spirit of prayer; He lived in it, it lived in Him. It had come to be an element of his nature.

He was like that precious spice, which, being bruised, doth not cease to give forth its perfume, but rather yieldeth it rather all the more abundantly because of the blows of the pestle, its fragrance being no outwards and superficial quality, but an inward virtue essential to nature, which the pounding of the mortar did but fetch from it, causing it to reveal its secret soul of witness.

Prayer enwrapped His very soul as with a garment, and His heart went forth in such array, I repeat it, let this be our example - never under any circumstances, however severe the trial, or depressing the difficulty, let us cease from prayer."

Amen Lord!
"Long as they live should christians pray, for only while they pray they live!"

Lord, even now as I equip myself to fight for you. Of all the skills and abilities you have deemed it worthy for me to pursue, I deem prayer as my Ultimate ability. I may command knowledge of Christian history and lore, Present day science and philosophy, even build towards better physical fitness... But all these though profitable will lose sight of the ultimate goal of the cross when without prayer.

It is the only skill essential to all. All other undertakings I deem as profitable towards the Kingdom of God. But Prayer I deem ESSENTIAL.

May I be as Jesus, as that wonderful spice that when I am broken I only reflect prayer more...
Even as I reach for my target of 3/4 hours a day... Help me Lord. For though I know that joy and peace shall be found in prayer, yet I need Your help to get there.

And May You raise up more desire for prayer within Your church, for truly a Christian's prayer life is one of the best indications of his commitment and if he truly trusts in You...

I pray for more prayer.
In Christ most precious name I pray,
Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Search Engine -Search Engine and Directory of blogs. Looking for blogs? Find them on BlogSearchEngine.com Listed on Blogwise